Fine and Country Northern Lincolnshire present this delightful period home believed to date back to 1760 with alterations and extensions added in 1872-3 by Victorian architect James Fowler of Louth to produce a family residence in keeping with a person of standing in the local community.
The Old Vicarage is a delightful period home believed to date back to 1760 with alterations and extensions added in 1872-3 by Victorian architect James Fowler of Louth to produce a family residence in keeping with a person of standing in the local community. Protected for future generations with a grade II listing, the original façade of the property typifies that of the Georgian era with a centrally located doorway flanked by two formal reception rooms which look out onto a beautiful front garden. The property is accessed through a solid wood original 6-fielded-panel door with overlight with geometric glazing which opens into the reception hallway. A period fire surround with a coal effect gas fire takes pride of place in the superb formal lounge which has other period style features to include, high ceilings, ornate cornicing and original French doors with wooden shutters providing lovely views of the front garden, the perfect place to enjoy drinks before dinner served in the adjacent formal dining room with family and friends, also benefitting from period features and garden views. To the side of the property is second less formal entrance most likely used by visiting parishioners. This entrance leads into the third reception room, a comfortable sitting room with a period fireplace which has a wood burning stove currently used as a family/play room. The fabulous Victorian style orangery was added circa 2005 having been carefully designed to enhance the property, retaining original exposed brickwork walls including a dividing wall with archway opening into a sitting area, the current owner talks of enjoying many a summer's evening with his wife enjoying the garden over after dinner drinks. Further evidence of the history of this property is the retention of the original Sunday school bell to the back of the house next to the orangery. Arranged from the orangery via an arched doorway is a large pantry/wine store and a door leads into a large utility room which is currently used as storage space with door to the outside. This versatile room could easily provide a home gymnasium or an attached home office. A door from the orangery opens into an entrance hall favoured by the family on a daily basis and leads around to the spacious kitchen which features bespoke country style oak fitted kitchen, inset for the New Watson England stove, and a practical moveable small centre Island and fitted fridge and dishwasher units. In addition, the kitchen has been recently fitted with the water softener and water filtering systems. A ground floor spacious cloakroom with built in storage cupboards has space and plumbing for a washing machine. An original traditional spindled staircase with polished wood handrail leads to the first-floor landing and accesses two adjacent double bedrooms. The master bedroom has twin sash windows which looks out onto the front garden, polished timber flooring and benefits from an en-suite bathroom. The second bedroom has a period fireplace and built-in storage cabinet. Both of these bedrooms have a step up from the landing space which is indicative of the Georgian period to show the owner's place in the household whereas one of the two back bedrooms has a step down into what was originally the room for household staff. To the landing area is a wide access loft space where the vendor tells us there is a large storage space. The landing leads onto a superb spacious traditional styled bathroom with five-piece suite to include a period cast claw and ball footed bath which serves the three family bedrooms.
OUTSIDE The property is bordered by a brick-built wall with two timber pillared gateways which open onto the side entrance and front garden of the property. A pathway leads from the garden gateway to the formal entrance of the house which borders a deep lawn garden with established borders with mature trees, shrubs and plants. A timber pergola style summer house looks over the lawn and a stunning mature oak tree provides natural shade on a hot summer's day. The shell of what was the stable block is next to the driveway to the property and has planning permission available to create a self-contained apartment style annex. A gravelled laid sweeping driveway with ample reception space provides parking for several vehicles and also accesses a triple bay arched brick car port, with a staircase to a first-floor storage area. The principal family garden is accessed via French doors from the orangery onto a deep-laid gravel seating area with ample space for barbequing taking full advantage of the delightful quintessentially English country garden, with a mature Weeping Willow and Ash tree overlooking a small pond. The sound of visiting bird completes the idyllic setting, the vendor tells us that there are some visiting owls, which they sit and watch of an evening. The garden looks onto a neighbouring adjacent paddock and also has a timber summer house with double opening doors which open out onto a decked veranda.